The choice to low-pressure sodium vapor lamps on the Golden Gate Bridge was a last-minute decision near the end of the construction project. By 1976 these fixtures were replaced with ones using high-pressure sodium vapor lamps and even more savings in operational dollars.
40 years later, those fixtures were retro-fitted with inserts using inductive fluorescent lamps, a technology that was demonstrated by Nikola Tesla in the 1890s. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
(Click on image to enlarge)
Source: Scotoyome Scimitar newspaper, June 18, 1936, via California Digital Newspaper Collection, Center for Bibliographic Studies and Research, University of California, Riverside