Built in 1891, Battery Marcus Miller is an example of the military architecture of a gun battery. Located on the coastal bluffs next to the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza, Battery Marcus Miller had three gun emplacements for 10-inch “disappearing carriage” cannons which had a range of seven miles. The guns were in place and operational by 1897 and the Battery was declared obsolete in 1918 and all weapons were removed.
Battery Marcus Miller is open to the public with access via Lincoln Blvd to Merchant Road. There is parking available in a lot on Merchant Road and a Coastal Trail runs adjacent to the site. This place is built to take a hit (pun intended) and photo opportunities abound.